On the Indian Ocean coastline, Tofo in Mozambique lies in the south-eastern part of the country, within the Inhambane Province. Originating as a small fishing village, Tofo today is a bustling tourist centre that is popular with holidaymakers from Southern Africa and many other parts of the world. The summer season between October and December is particularly busy, as this is when school holidays take place for many regions within the southern hemisphere.
Home to a small but fascinating market, a large number of bars and restaurants, a good few diving centres, surf shops, curio shops, cafes, a horse riding stable and two beaches (the main Tofo Beach and the smaller Tofinho settlement), this is the place to come when you want to enjoy some fun in the sun. It’s also the place to come when you want to experience some of the best scuba diving in the world, in waters that are teeming with Whale sharks, giant manta rays and many other marine species.
Things to Do in Tofo, Mozambique
Some of the best things to do when visiting Tofo in Mozambique include the following:
- Whale shark viewing and diving (October – March)
- Humpback whale viewing and diving (June – October)
- Manta ray viewing and diving (all year round)
- Scuba diving, snorkelling and water sports throughout the year
- Bars and restaurants serving local beer 2M, cocktails, seafood and other delicious meals
- Surfing, fishing, sunbathing and swimming at Tofo Beach
- Relaxing, sunbathing and walking on the quieter Tofinho Beach
- Horseback riding tours on both beaches and scenic routes
- Fishing from boat or from shore, with charting companies or a hired boat (license essential)
- Parties and festivities on the beach – especially during October and December
Accommodation options are plentiful and diverse here too, with various options ranging from backpacker lodges all the way to luxury hotels and resorts. Whether travelling with friends, co-workers, family or loved one, Tofo in Mozambique offers the kind of destination that brochures and postcards are made of, ensuring a memorable experience for all.